[volunteers] gruyere (Linode host) upgraded

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Dec 18 09:35:25 PST 2007

Quoting Warren Turkal (wturkal at gmail.com):

> Practically speaking, the most compelling reason to use aptitude is
> that the Debian documentation says that it's the preferred software
> for both package installation and upgrades.

As a Debian sysadmin for the past decade, I am acutely aware of this
and of the reasons usually cited[1], and so far have not found them
compelling.  apt-get is lighter weight and a great deal less sluggish,
along with the generally more desirable default behaviour concerning
Recommends dependencies.  The only significant thing aptitude does, that
apt-get doesn't, is something I don't find very useful: a full-screen
ncurses mode.  Also, there are its searching abilities, which are
eminently available in other apt-suite tools such as apt-cache.

I continue to check occasionally, to see if matters have changed.

[1] See, for example, this post by my friend Joey Hess:  "Aptitude" on
http://linuxmafia.com/kb/Debian/ .  If you wish, I can tell you why I
fail to find each of his nine reasons compelling.