[volunteers] gruyere (Linode host) upgraded

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Tue Dec 18 07:53:01 PST 2007

On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 02:27:11 -0800, Rick Moen wrote:

> We also switched to a Linode-compiled 2.6.23.1 kernel
> instead of the ancient 2.4.x one left over from Micah Dowty's original
> choice of Ubuntu Server 5.10 "Breezy Badger" in 2005.  (Note:  Because
> Linode virthosts run under User Mode Linux, we must pick from
> Linode-supplied kernels.  Our virthost doesn't _contain_ that kernel,
> nor any initrd, nor any bootloader.  Those are in the outside real host
> machine.)

IIRC, the Linode kernel setting we left it on was not 2.6.23.1
specifically, but a pointer to whatever the most recent Linode-compiled
kernel is at any given time the host boots, which is only currently a
2.6.23.1 kernel.

> (It's in /usr/local/src to make it readable even by non-root users, and
> we don't want to clutter the system root unnecessarily.)

At the same time, I suggested perhaps using /usr/local/share instead of
/usr/local/src.

> With the arrival of offical Ubuntu binary packages for Lighttpd
> (currently v. 1.4.18), the need for _both_ build tools and locally
> compiled .deb packages went away.

For the moment -- build tools may be needed again in the future, but
putting them back is trivial.

> Of the two, it's easier using apt-get to keep down the growth of
> optional software, because apt-get (unlike aptitude) doesn't autoinstall
> packages listed as "Recommends" dependencies.  (Yes, the behaviour of
> aptitude in that regard _can_ be changed.  I believe you put
> Aptitude::Recommends-Important "false" into /etc/apt.conf .)

For those wondering, yes, the behavior of apt-get in the same regard can
be changed in a similar way.

Interestingly, upon reviewing brie's filesystem hierarchy for stuff to
save, I found the presence of aptitude, which neither I nor "d-i"
installed during the initial OS setup, and that it had been installed a
few days later, about the same time as Mailman. I have a strong preference
for apt-get over aptitude, and with the inclusion of apt-get's relatively
new "autoremove" command, I see no real useful purpose in ever using
aptitude.