[volunteers] The 2230 formerly (and presently) known as brie

Paul Reiber reiber at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 17:08:39 PST 2007

On Dec 17, 2007 4:31 PM, Edward Cherlin <echerlin at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> So here is me asking, could you get us some more servers?

All -
I've been asked (yay!) if we couldn't get some more computers to do
projects with.

I have a number of companies that are interested in being hardware
sponsors. Specifics
of the agreements on the table from these various sponsors vary; for
the most part,
SVLUG's obligations to these sponsors would only be recognition as a
sponsor on our
website and thank-you-level mention at various SVLUG events...
although in a few cases,
the details are a little different.  For the most part, educationally
and interestingly different.

My questions for you regarding this direction:

- other than "we've never needed to do that before", do you see any
compelling reasons
why SVLUG _shouldn't_ do this?

- what, if any, prerequisites do you see as being appropriate for an
SVLUG hardware sponsor?
Conversely, would anything disqualify a potential hardware sponsor
just on the face of things?

- A number of vendors have "toaster" type solutions - for example,
Untangle.  Is anyone willing
to play the "end user" role, and use some of these pre-configured
solutions as part of what
we're about/doing?

- what would you do with an extra server or two, if YOU had them to play with?

Best regards,
-pbr