[volunteers] The 2230 formerly (and presently) known as brie

Paul Reiber reiber at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 16:26:02 PST 2007

> > Well... hell.  I regret that you guys didn't show me what made _more_ sense
> > than what I was proposing.  If I saw a better answer _anywhere_ than what
> > I(/we!?!) came up with... I'd have gone with it in an instant.
>
> IIRC, several better answers were proposed, which you rejected in favor of
> yours, as an "executive decision."

I tried to make sense of what was in front of me... part of the job,
IIRC.  Decisions
_must_ be made, and, in this case as with most, the alternatives were reviewed
before the decision was made.  It's all water under the bridge,
anyways - and it's
just about whether/how a few drives are mirrored.  NOT a big DEAL - a MINOR
point in the grand scheme of things.  I'm perplexed by the fixation on this.

Hell, I'm perplexed by the whole THING!   Not _one_ volunteer has come
to me and asked:

"Gee, Paul, any way we could get _another_ server or two in the mix?
Then we'd be able
to proceed on many projects without single points of
contention/failure slowing us down...
Can you help?"

Ponder this:  Months ago, and even now, I could easily have a small
handful of "hardware
sponsors" providing units for SVLUG to use and enjoy, just by sending
a few emails and making
a few phone calls, taking people up on EXISTING offers.  So...  the
1/3 rack or so we have at
Via.net _COULD_ have been filled with machines by now, with volunteers
happily getting them
to do cool things.

I'm willing to take SVLUG places it never went before... and as part
of that, willing to bear some
grief as we forge our way their - that's part of the "I" of ROI.  What
I'm not willing to do is take
all the blame people wanna throw around for whatever they misperceive
as going wrong.

Three weeks in Brazil will, I hope, give me a better perspective onto
some of this - right now,
I'm frustrated and trying to get the phrase "no good deed goes
unpunished" out of my head.

Best regards,
-pbr