[volunteers] The 2230 formerly (and presently) known as brie

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Mon Dec 17 15:16:50 PST 2007

On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 14:27:22 -0800, Paul Reiber wrote:

>> 3) Unceremoniously repartition all the internal drives and their RAID
>> slices in a sane manner, without regard to their current contents, thus
>> permanently extricating The Reiber Touch from the installed system.
>
> :-)  Daniel... I was pretty sure you and I and Rick _all_ worked together and
> decided on what to do with those drives; the RAIDing, and all that...
>
> Maybe you guys were just nodding "Yes" and thinking "He's nuts"... but
> I'm pretty sure that wasn't the case.

At least in my case, that was very much the case. I'm pretty sure that for
others, it was even more the case, since I actually performed the RAIDing
to your crap specifications over the objections of most everybody else. I
very much regret that.

> YES - re-do the things if they're wrong - we were TRYING to get 'em
> right, though, at the time - I remember that quite clearly.

Yes, until I heard from Heather in April that the machine had not gone
back to Via.net as I had expected (which in hindsight, would have been
disastrous, anyway), and was still at her house. That put the kibosh on
that "trying."

> Re: the JBOD - it sucks a _lot_ of power and doesn't get us much.
> There are 8 (7 working IIRC) 36GB scsi drives in it, so it's not like it's
> got multiple terabytes of storage or anything.

Yes, and it sucks power that we do have available in a truly unlimited
supply, except for courtesies you personally have been extending on
SVLUG's behalf to Via.net, apparently despite their insistence that the
courtesies were unnecessary. The possibility of superseding the JBOD
device's potential with more modern hardware in no way negates, by itself,
usefulness of the JBOD device to SVLUG.

> What we could achieve by adding a few modern lower-power terabyte-plus
> sized drives to the existing unit - or even replace the existing internal
> relatively-small drives - far exceeds what we'll be able to achieve with
> the JBOD.  Money for the drives is _not_ a problem so let's not make it one.

The most spacious single drives currently manufactured are 1TB, so the
"terabyte-plus" speculation is baseless. All such drives are equipped only
with SATA interfaces. The currently [mal]functioning production server has
absolutely nothing wrong with its hardware, which turns out to be slightly
less unsuitable for the virtualization solution than brie. Once it's
decommissioned, its single PATA hard disk may be retired in favor of two
of the 1TB SATA drives you have so graciously offered to personally donate
on SVLUG's behalf, and it may be redeployed in its new role. Of course,
since that hardware predates SATA, it may need a SATA interface card,
which should retail for around $9 ($8.99).

> Last comment on all of this: (yes, I'm going to Brazil soon; see you
> all next year)
> ...yes, they're working on ensuring we layer in a VIRTUALIZATION SOLUTION
> onto Brie as well.

No, nobody's working on doing that to brie, and nobody ever will.

> Our goal is to have the "hosts" served up by Brie be
> VMs, not to have Brie itself (as the dom0) serving up wikis or websites
> or mailinglists
> or anything like that.  Think of it like a momma and kids; the momma
> won't even be "visible" much to the rest of the world; the KIDS will be.

Assuming that the above works out with the current production server once
it's "reborn," I reiterate what I said to you on Thursday, which you
seemed to ignore, focusing instead on the current state of brie:

When all is said and done, you will not have ANY shell login on any SVLUG
VM or machine, save for one VM not otherwise used, where you will be root.
It shall have the hostname "havarti," while its sister VM which you won't
be able to touch shall be "cheddar." Tentative hostname for the "reborn"
current server is now "roquefort," despite Lisa's strong preference for
using "swiss," with my second choice being "neufchâtel."

> OK... all for now... I'm glad to see Heather and Rick starting to work
> together better... glad to see people starting to _care_ where/what
> SVLUG does... and glad to be part of it all.

I'm sure all the volunteers would agree on being gladder if you were less
a part of it all.