[volunteers] The 2230 formerly (and presently) known as brie

Paul Reiber reiber at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 14:27:22 PST 2007

> 3) Unceremoniously repartition all the internal drives and their RAID
> slices in a sane manner, without regard to their current contents, thus
> permanently extricating The Reiber Touch from the installed system.

:-)  Daniel... I was pretty sure you and I and Rick _all_ worked together and
decided on what to do with those drives; the RAIDing, and all that...

Maybe you guys were just nodding "Yes" and thinking "He's nuts"... but
I'm pretty sure that wasn't the case.

YES - re-do the things if they're wrong - we were TRYING to get 'em
right, though, at the time - I remember that quite clearly.

Re: the JBOD - it sucks a _lot_ of power and doesn't get us much.
There are 8 (7 working IIRC) 36GB scsi drives in it, so it's not like it's
got multiple terabytes of storage or anything.

What we could achieve by adding a few modern lower-power terabyte-plus
sized drives to the existing unit - or even replace the existing internal
relatively-small drives - far exceeds what we'll be able to achieve with
the JBOD.  Money for the drives is _not_ a problem so let's not make it one.

Last comment on all of this: (yes, I'm going to Brazil soon; see you
all next year)
...yes, they're working on ensuring we layer in a VIRTUALIZATION SOLUTION
onto Brie as well.  Our goal is to have the "hosts" served up by Brie be VMs,
not to have Brie itself (as the dom0) serving up wikis or websites or
mailinglists
or anything like that.  Think of it like a momma and kids; the momma won't even
be "visible" much to the rest of the world; the KIDS will be.

OK... all for now... I'm glad to see Heather and Rick starting to work together
better... glad to see people starting to _care_ where/what SVLUG does... and
glad to be part of it all.

Best,
-pbr