[volunteers] [svlug] SVLUG server - any ideas? (fwd)

Paul Reiber reiber at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 15:30:40 PST 2007

On Dec 13, 2007 2:55 PM, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:
> Quoting Paul Reiber (reiber at gmail.com):
>
> > Practices only happen when people implement them.
>
> And are not prevented by you.
>
> I'll bet you're very surprised to see me responding, following your
> transporting of the thread over to Volunteers, since you'd intended that I
> be silently _removed_ from this mailing list without explanation to
> the membership, and thus you thought you'd be able to just post here without
> anyone being able to figure out why I was letting your allegations pass
> in silence.

Nah... minor slip; I'd forgotten I'd cleaned up the list already.  Too
many items
on the to-do list.

But it's interesting to note, you've undone changes made by _enfranchised_
volunteers without coordinating w/ anyone... you're welcome to remain on the
Volunteers mailinglist if you'd like, Rick - I was simply doing you a
favor and cleaning
things up, since you decided _not_ to be a volunteer in previous emails...

I can't win if I do, and can't win if I don't... but I'll repeat the
note of concern for a certain
level of impropriety here - you've (1) resigned (2) been asked to
refrain from connecting
to or administering the machines and (3) refused to comply with that
request.  Interesting
way to proceed... I'll have to consider the implications over the next
few days, and decide
what I will or won't do about that intrusion.

> (Folks, he's progressed to the next stage, and is now vanishing people
> from mailing lists.)

Rather, helping them not receive emails about things they themselves
have decided not to participate in.

> You know, the sad thing is, it's possibly you do believe this, despite
> everyone from Lisa to Darlene to me telling you otherwise in detail.

Lisa failed to communicate with me, or anyone else, what she was up to
for quite some time - I'm not dinging her for that, but I can't be expected to
be aware of what she was up to without that feedback.

Darlene's another story.  Darlene's not on the admin crew.  Her
input's interesting
but not applicable to _any_ of these discussions.  I'm as exasperated
as all hell with her,
and it's true, I've asked her to refrain from SVLUG activities -
mostly because she feels
she can "represent" SVLUG, much as you feel you can, and she's taken ridiculous
contentions to the membership just because she personally didn't
understand what
was going on.  Unacceptable.  If it only happened once, forgivable -
but there was
a long-running trend of that sort of behaviour guiding my decision.

Let's not forget... we're talking about the "help" of turning on the
mic's and overhead
projectors here, not anything that's a crucial function.  Given the
choice - that help,
for the price I had to pay of her meddling... no thanks.

> > Good job of laying down communications fabric just how _you_ decided was
> > appropriate, sans officer-level preferences being taken into consideration.
>
> Once again, I'm obliged to ask for (but probably not receive) your
> immediate public apology for this claim, since I took Volunteers public
> _specifically_ in coordination with you and Mark Weisler.

"In coordination with," as in, we deferred to your "better judgement"
about such things, wishing to not have to bear the burden of finding
another list admin to replace you.  When I took this gig, job#1 was
seeing who wanted to do what, and who didn't want to do what.  You
wanted listadmin, so you got it.  You wanted the lists a certain way,
so we said OK. Nothing more.

And... YOU decided the frankenserver wasn't worth your time to fix -
no-one else.

YOU walked away from the problems - not me.  And now you're saying
they're trivial and that you know just what to do to fix everything...
but you're not saying _how_... just _that_...  interesting way to
"help" SVLUG.

Mr. Moen, your ongoing arguments only deepen my resolve that I've made
the right decision regarding moving forward without your support.
-Paul Reiber,
President, SVLUG