[volunteers] [svlug] membership poll- interim VP appointment?

Mark Weisler mark at weisler-saratoga-ca.us
Tue Dec 4 08:19:08 PST 2007

On Monday 03 December 2007 00:48:43 Paul Reiber wrote:
> Greetings, SVLUG,
>
> I would like to humbly ask your permission to appoint an
> interim VP into the position recently vacated.  The job of
> running SVLUG is difficult enough already, doing it without
  ^^^^^^^^^^^
> another officer to help manage things is doubly difficult.

There's no need for an interim VP as there is no role or task that can't be
done by a volunteer.

I think that part of the problem is that you think you are "running" a LUG
when, in SVLUG's case at least, it is more important that the president act
as a facilitator and consensus builder.

> At the moment, SVLUG has no mechanism (other than
> appointment, if it's deemed acceptable) for filling that office
> during the period BEFORE a membership vote can be taken
> to elect a new VP.
This is not a problem that needs solving in the next few weeks, if ever.

> [[NOTE: this issue will very likely be addressed by the new
> rules-n-regs group, but that effort's not likely to occur immediately,
> and this is a relatively immediate concern ]]
What is an immediate concern?

> Since there's now an election being planned (soon, I hope) it'd
> be wrong to appoint anyone who's running; that would give them
> an unfair advantage over their competition.
>
> So, though I'd prefer to have either Ed or Warren working with me
> in the interim, I'll choose someone else from within SVLUG's ranks
I don't think LUG's are really big on ranks but instead put more value in
community.

> to fill the role during the interim - if this poll indicates support of
> the concept of interim appointment.

I echo Rick's comments about PenLUG running well with, apparently, just a
group of volunteers. I attend PenLUG meetings and the group is doing very
well. (Bill Ward did a great job as president building PenLUG, with volunteer
help, but has  been taking a rest from his role as president.)