[volunteers] [svlug] VOTE AGAINST INTERIM VP APPOINTMENT

Paul Reiber reiber at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 14:41:22 PST 2007

On Dec 3, 2007 2:20 PM, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:
> Quoting Paul Reiber (reiber at gmail.com):
>
> [skipping a bunch]
>
> > Darlene penned a posting which stated, incorrectly, that I, the
> > President of SVLUG, "proposed" something to HER [...]
>
> You know, if someone misquoted _me_ or misrepresented my views or deeds,
> I would _not_ abuse my position of trust to silence and then bad-mouth
> that person.  I'd tend to merely respond "Er, no, that's not what I
> said" and leave dumbass thuggery to drunks and bullies elsewhere.

Let's see... First, do you really think I'm aspiring to be more like you?

Next, am I to understand that you actually believe that you tend to refrain
from ad-hominem attacks?  My advisors have dinged me for doing the
ad-hominem thing myself - and when I've looked back, I've found that in
the majority of cases that I broke that rule, it was when I was replying to
_you_ - not any other volunteers - and replying _in kind_ - using the
same tactics you were using.  I'm working on fixing that - working to
reply WITHOUT sarcasm, vinegar, and ad-hominem remarks.

And, I guess, it's good to know you're aspiring to that yourself.

> In fact, you may recall my doing exactly that on, among other occasions,
> the day Raffi posted some crazed screed calling me a bunch of names.

No... I don't remember that... but I do know that Raffi's among dozens who've
become so disheartened by things at SVLUG (your doing as much as mine
or anyone elses) that they're no longer actively part of things.

-Paul