[volunteers] [svlug] Linux to Politics ratio

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Sun Dec 2 01:46:55 PST 2007

On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 00:43:56 -0800, Rick Moen wrote:

> In the first place, I refuse to believe that anyone with a genuine
> desire to edit Web pages cannot handle ssh'ing in, "co -l", and "ci -u".

I also refuse to believe that. I had no problem with this myself when I
added a page, and I can't think of any volunteer who would. But
maintaining a website is more than editing pages, as you've seen elsewhere
yourself.

> Reed thought we'd instantly be flooded with capable people who would be
> glad to give capable help with Web page maintenance if only they could
> avoid evil text editors and RCS checkout.  I called that bunk then, and
> I call it bunk now.  You disagree?  OK, fine, you're welcome to your
> view.

That is not at all what I disagree with. For one thing, as you've already
pointed out, the migration is largely already done, thanks largely to you.
Are you truly not seeing that next time, the same work would need to be
done again if the RCS setup is reused? In contrast, wiki content has a
slightly greater degree of independence from its medium, and whatever
tools may be available at that point in time will be more likely to be
better able to deal with that. I am not in any way claiming any of what
hasn't been done to be easy. On the contrary, I am in awe of how much of
it _has_ been done.