[volunteers] [svlug] result of member poll on an alternative to SVLUG mailing list

Paul Reiber reiber at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 17:38:41 PST 2007

On Nov 28, 2007 3:27 PM, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:
[...]
> Darlene Wallach remains muzzled, on here and on volunteers at lists.svlug.org,
> except on occasions when Reiber allows her to speak.

She should take it as a sincere compliment that I didn't just kick her
from the list -
the moderate bit was pretty much the kindest, gentlest thing I could
do, since she
was simply ignoring my requests, mostly without even the courtesy of a reply.

I hated having to use the moderate bit as much or more as any of you
could possibly
hate me for having using it.  It incurs a huge overhead - I feel
obligated to check mailman
way more often than I would otherwise; say, on the order of every hour
instead of
every day.  I don't recommend it unless you have a masochistic streak.

By the way - those periodic checks are made with the hopeful goal of
_approving_
as many of Darlene's messages as I possibly can.  My sincere hope is
that she'll
actually read, think about, try to accept, and talk to me face-to-face
about any
contention she might have with the quite explicit reasons I've
provided for each
moderation that actually occurred.

Darlene's been an incredible asset to SVLUG over the years; not many people
would be getting this level of personal service from me.  Don't forget, I put
out the call to get her a notebook computer, for example!  And I offered to let
her test-drive the OLPC for a week or two if she was interested as well.  So...
anyone who says I've wronged Darlene really should consider the whole picture.

I encourage Darlene, you, and any other volunteers who are miffed to
realize that
your volunteer positions aren't about whether your plans get adopted, or whether
your efforts are rewarded sufficiently, or whether you're happy with
the authority
or responsibility levels that your role involves... rather,
volunteering in SVLUG is
all about opportunity, community, harmony, and education.

You all have the opportunity to do great things within SVLUG, if
you're willing to be
polite, helpful, and positive.

Approaching things from that angle is pretty much guaranteed to work.
-Paul