[volunteers] December presentation

Mark Weisler mark at weisler-saratoga-ca.us
Tue Nov 6 22:49:35 PST 2007

On Tuesday 06 November 2007 20:19:26 Strata R Chalup wrote:
> Hi Aniruddha,
>
> Presentation Title:    Best Practices for Helpdesk and Ticket Systems

> Does your ticket system follow the 3 laws of entropy?  You can't win, you
> can't break even, and you can't get out of the game?  As the lolcats say,
> "Your doing it wrong".  A bit of restructuring your helpdesk and ticket
> process can support your need for staffing, reveal problem areas in your
> infrastructure or support process, and win you powerful allies in
> engineering and sales.
>
> Closing tickets is only the tip of the iceberg.  A well-run helpdesk effort
> also includes good ticket granularity, priorities customized for your
> organization, maintainance and upgrade support in the queue, regular
> reporting, and providing proactive services.  Most of these Practices work
> well with virtual helpdesks as well, allowing them to be leveraged for Open
> Source projects as well as enterprise workgroups.
>
> Bio:
> Strata R. Chalup started administering VAX Ultrix and Unisys Unix in 1983
> in Boston, founded Virtual.Net in 1993, and spent the dot-com years
> building complex internet services for clients like iPlanet and Palm.  She
> is a well-known instructor at Usenix and LISA conferences, and joined Tom
> Limoncelli and Christina Hogan as a co-author for the 2nd edition of "The
> Practice of System and Network Administration", published August 2007.
>

> Strata
> 650-279-1136

Hi Strata,
Thanks for the information. We're looking forward to hearing from you.
I'll be updating the Web site with the information you are providing here.
Regards.

--
Mark Weisler
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our
mark at weisler.saratoga.ca.us
telephone: office- (831) 531-2916
home-   (408) 867-9377
mobile- (408) 568-1229