[volunteers] plans

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Oct 23 19:17:28 PDT 2007

Quoting Paul Reiber (reiber at gmail.com):

> Our archived, world-wide-web-available volunteers mailing list is NO
> place for speculations and possibilities and potential and such...

Nor (any longer) for information to the volunteers, apparently.

> Rick, regarding communications from me - I must ask that you please
> refrain from "widening the audience" of messages from me, of any sort
> - i.e. acting unasked as my scribe, or otherwise re-transmitting my
> words to a wider audience, without my explicit instance-by-instance
> permission.

If you are referring to my summarising in general terms what you
said in front of about a dozen people at the installfest, and what
you've been saying off and on, _including_ on archived, World-Wide-Web-
available mailing lists, I have absolutely no regrets -- especially not
on grounds of courtesy.

I will withhold further comment on the appropriateness of trying to
stifle actual relevant information to the volunteers about _their_
affairs, which you yourself should have provided, since obviously we
have a very fundamental difference of view, exactly as I did with
J. Paul Reed and Bill Ward.

> I've got a number of other experienced system architects on board.

I doubt that extremely, but good luck.

I notice you set Reply-To for this message to one of your personal
addresses.  I am fully honouring that, by the way:  Many people
mistakenly believe that it means "any form of reply must go here".
However, in fact, RFC-2821 defines it as a preferred location for direct
return mail to just the sender, which is _not_ what I'm doing, but rather
sending this to your other addressee, volunteers at lists.svlug.org .

In other words, were I sending a reply-to-sender, it would have gone to
your Reply-To address, but this is a reply-to-all.