[volunteers] SVLUG 'special' meeting: at DigitalGuru?

Mark Weisler mark at weisler-saratoga-ca.us
Tue Oct 16 09:14:31 PDT 2007

On Tuesday 16 October 2007 08:44:30 you wrote:
> On Friday 05 October 2007 08:44:33 Fox, Heather wrote:
> >> Hello SVLUG Team,
> >>
> >> I was hoping to propose an idea that may interest you for an upcoming
> >> meeting theme.
> >>
> >> Pearson published a book on Damn Small Linux which launched at
> >> LinuxWorld this August, and a co-author- John Andrews- is local to
> >> Silicon Valley.
> >>
> >> We are in touch with the owner of DigitalGuru bookstore in Sunnyvale
> >> http://www.digitalguru.com/page-1-About_Us and DG would be happy to host
> >> one of your upcoming meetings, with John Andrews as the guest speaker on
> >> the topic of DSL.
> >>
> >> Does this interest you?
> >> http://www.informit.com/store/product.aspx?isbn=0132338696
> >>
> >> Looking forawrd to hearing back,
> >> HFox
>
> On Friday 10/5 Mark Weisler responded:
> >Hi all,
> >I'm in favor of your idea of Digital Guru sponsoring a meeting. We could
> > >give Robert Half Technology a break for one of our meetings.
> >I'm a bit concerned in that the title of your post is "at DigitalGuru?".
> >

>Do they have room
>                                                                            >
for us all at
>                                                                            >
Digital Guru?

> >What are the implications of changing our location for _one_ meeting?
> > There would, undoubtedly, be a few people who show up at our usual place
> > instead >of going to Digital Guru. I realize that it would be good
> > publicity for the Digital Guru retail store and that it would be good for
> > us in SVLUG to know where the store is, but I'm not sure about switching
> > a meeting to that >site. It seems we have several options...
> >
> >1. We might have a "special" meeting at Digital Guru separate from our
> > >regular meetings. (We recently did this by having a meeting at Monta
> > >Vista.) Maybe invite BayLISA also? 2. Digital Guru could sponsor a
> > regular meeting at our regular meeting >place. 3. We could have a regular
> > meeting at Digital Guru though this would >be slightly disruptive as I've
> > outlined above. My quick reaction would be mostly in favor of option #1,
> > a "special >meeting" at Digital Guru. Thanks for developing this idea.
>
> Mark,
>
> Thanks for fleshing out your thoughts on this.  Has the rest of SVLUG
> leadership given input?
I have not heard anything.

> I'd like to proceed with recommending a "special" meeting for SVLUG/BayLISA
> at DigitalGuru- perhaps early to mid December or early 2008.
Sounds fine to me. Just a minor thought: you might consider inviting East Bay
LUG, SJSU LUG and PenLUG in the spirit of this being sort of a "free and open
source community meets Digital Guru" event. That way we would be striving to
be inclusive of all (to my knowledge) of the areas open source groups as we
are a pretty cohesive group (at least in spirit and interest, if not
geography).

Regards, Mark

--
Mark Weisler
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our