[volunteers] SVLUG meeting: at DigitalGuru?

Mark Weisler mark at weisler-saratoga-ca.us
Fri Oct 5 17:52:20 PDT 2007

On Friday 05 October 2007 08:44:33 Fox, Heather wrote:
> Hello SVLUG Team,
>
> I was hoping to propose an idea that may interest you for an upcoming
> meeting theme.
>
> Pearson published a book on Damn Small Linux which launched at LinuxWorld
> this August, and a co-author- John Andrews- is local to Silicon Valley.
>
> We are in touch with the owner of DigitalGuru bookstore in Sunnyvale
> http://www.digitalguru.com/page-1-About_Us and DG would be happy to host
> one of your upcoming meetings, with John Andrews as the guest speaker on
> the topic of DSL.
>
> Does this interest you?
> http://www.informit.com/store/product.aspx?isbn=0132338696
>
> Looking forawrd to hearing back,
> HFox
>
> *****************
> Heather L. Fox, Senior Publicist & User Group Liaison
> Addison-Wesley ProfessionalIBM Press Prentice Hall Professional  Que
> Publishing Sams Publishing Publishing imprints of Pearson Education
> heather.fox at pearsoned.com
> Office Ph: 212-641-6539
> *Mobile*: 201-362-7763
> Geo: c/o Pearson Education, 1330 6th Ave., 35th Floor
> NY, NY 10019
Hi all,
I'm in favor of your idea of Digital Guru sponsoring a meeting. We could give
Robert Half Technology a break for one of our meetings.

I'm a bit concerned in that the title of your post is "at DigitalGuru?".
                                                                            ^^
Do they have room for us all at Digital Guru?
What are the implications of changing our location for _one_ meeting? There
would, undoubtedly, be a few people who show up at our usual place instead of
going to Digital Guru. I realize that it would be good publicity for the
Digital Guru retail store and that it would be good for us in SVLUG to know
where the store is, but I'm not sure about switching a meeting to that site.
It seems we have several options...

1. We might have a "special" meeting at Digital Guru separate from our regular
meetings. (We recently did this by having a meeting at Monta Vista.) Maybe
invite BayLISA also?
2. Digital Guru could sponsor a regular meeting at our regular meeting place.
3. We could have a regular meeting at Digital Guru though this would be
slightly disruptive as I've outlined above.

My quick reaction would be mostly in favor of option #1, a "special meeting"
at Digital Guru.

Thanks for developing this idea.

Mark

--
Mark Weisler
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our