[volunteers] Backups Continue

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Mar 23 11:26:07 PST 2007

Quoting Mark Weisler (mark at weisler-saratoga-ca.us):

> This is just a quick update to let folk know that I've now backed up
> critical SVLUG data to my home and office computers. I'm working with
> Rick following his clues and suggestions including, soon, the use of
> cron to automate the backups.

For collective knowledge:  My docs at "SSH Public-Key Process" on
http://linuxmafia.com/kb/Security/ detail how to set up an SSH keypair
that is usable ONLY to carry out one specified command string.  This is
particularly useful for carrying out automated interhost backups:  You
generate a new keypair with null passphrase, then (on the more-trusted
backup-destination side) restrict what that keypair can do, restricting
it to just one host and just one command, using the the "command="
switch in ~/.ssh/authorized_keys .  I've done that trick using the rsync
utility for the actual backup mechanism, in the past.

There is also a separate write-up of how to do that same trick using
"rdiff-backup" for transport, which is probably an even better idea:
http://arctic.org/~dean/rdiff-backup/unattended.html