[volunteers] Question

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Mar 22 09:08:24 PST 2007

[Brooks wrote to a mailto link on one of our Web pages, resulting in his
mail going to "web-team at lists.svlug.org", which resulted in it being
redirected to "volunteers at lists.svlug.org".]

Quoting Brooks Hollan (bhm3 at cox.net):

> Hello,
>
> My name is Brooks Hollan, and about 3 years ago, there were some jobs
> posted on your site for a company called Cobb Communications.  The
> company never materialized, and I was wondering if you could remove
> those 3 year old job posts for me.  Since the company is no longer
> around, that e-mail address is no longer valid bhollan at cobbcomm.com.
>
> Here are the links:
>
> http://lists.svlug.org/pipermail/jobs/2004-January/000007.html
> http://lists.svlug.org/archives/jobs.mbox/jobs.mbox

Hi, Brooks.  I'm the moderator of the SVLUG "jobs" mailing list.

Is there a particular reason why your jobs postings from three years ago
are causing significant problems?  To answer your question, no, we would
not normally a purge old jobs-available mailing list posting from three
years ago merely because the firm folded.  Lots of firms fold, and
nobody expects mailing list administrators to alter history in order to
retroactively change the record.

Additionally, it strains credulity to imagine that people would be still
trying to submit applications for three-year-old job openings.  Since
that's obviously not the concern, what problem are you trying to fix,
that merits our changing history and going to a rather large amount of
trouble to retroactively delete your single three-year-old posting and
re-generate the entire mailing list archive?

In short, unless you can cite some exceptionally good reason, the answer
is going to be "No, sorry."