[volunteers] RAID array rework

Paul Reiber reiber at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 14:08:27 PST 2007

Hi, Daniel!

I'm a bit stumped - maybe you can help with some mdadm mojo.

You'll remember we configured the JBOD as RAID10 - a slice
across 4 mirrors.

You'll also remember one of the drives died, so one mirror's
degraded, and we have 7 drives to play with, not 8.

So... I'd like to reconfigure the array, and I've managed to
mess up the old config a bit, but haven't reached a new config yet.

I'd like to set it up as RAID5 using 7 drives.  That'd be 5 drives
plus 2 spares.

The challenge is getting mdadm to work with the physical devices
that are currently part of other RAID mirrors.  Destroying those
mirrors somehow, then recreating the whole 9 yards.

I've tried to do the "destroy" part to no avail.  Can't seem to get
mdadm to throw away the mirrors we made.  Once we're past that
the rest should be pretty straightforward.

Your help with this would be immensely appreciated.  As soon
as we have the storage situation managed on that server, we can
begin tweaking moinmoin, and then hopefully switch the webserver
over to using it sometime soon.

Thanks in advance, Daniel!
-Paul