[volunteers] Testing of AV Equipment

mark weisler mark at weisler-saratoga-ca.us
Mon Feb 5 14:40:41 PST 2007

Hi All,
I received a call this morning from Hereon about discussing the AV scenario
for Wednesday's meeting with our speaker, Sameer Verma, of SFSU.

I returned the call to Hereon suggesting a couple of guidelines.

First of all let me say that I saw Sameer's presentation a few months ago and
it involved use of his own laptop running OpenOffice presentations to the
projector, speaking (obviously, but this means wearing the mike that we are
used to using), and demonstrating phone calls using VoIP and Asterisk. Sameer
also will likely switch displays to show his OpenOffice material but also to
show live screens from Asterisk. It's a reasonably complex presentation and
juggling act but he does it well. He may well be bring a third or fourth
computer to simulate/demonstrate calling into an IP network.

The first guideline that is suggest is that the equipment used to
record/broadcast the presentation not encumber the presenter. Maybe
transparency would be an operative adjective for that. We don't want the
presenter to have to add a level of thinking to their presentation to
accommodate our recordings.

Secondly, the recording/broadcasting arrangements should be well rehearsed and
debugged prior to the meeting to reduce stress on all of us including our
excellent AV coordinator and the presenter. Even though we have excellent
facilities provided by our hosts there at Veritas the service is not always
plug and play as it seems to be sensitive to different laptops, signals, and
boot sequences.

So, what are we ready to ask our presenter?
--
Mark Weisler