[volunteers] Sameer Says OK to Recording

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Feb 3 12:29:38 PST 2007

On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 16:34:26 -0800, "Mark Weisler"
<mark at weisler-saratoga-ca.us> said:

> We might learn something from other LUG's who make recordings and
> publish on the Web.

Whoever has time to pursue that avenue of research, y'all can find
comprehensive lists of the world's LUGs linked from the Linux User Group
HOWTO, at the LDP.

Some follow-on thoughts:  In some of the private mail that preceded this
thread, a participant asked if it would be appropriate to send an
attached _image file_ of something-or-other to this mailing list.  I said,
actually, sending such things to most mailing lists is deprecated, and
you should instead put them somewhere you have Web space and post the
URL, instead.  I couldn't at the time remember the Web 2.0 site for
hosting images:  It's Flickr (and there are certainly many others).

Just to recap the procedures involved in this:

"Hereon" has an 8mm analogue camcorder and presumably at least a few 8mm
analogue video tapes.  Also, I would hope, a tripod.  To produce useful
digital bitstreams, he will also need:

o  An A/D sampler device such as a Dazzle Hollywood DV-Bridge or simliar
   Canopus Corporation devices.  This accepts S-video analogue input from
   the camera and samples it (almost) losslessly, producing raw DV
   (digital video) output on a Firewire output port.  Typical retail for a
   low-end A/D audio/video converter is about $300.  An S-video cable is also
   of course required, as is a Firewire output cable.

o  A beefy PC with a Firewire port, a very large hard drive in the
   hundreds of gigs, and around 1/2 gig of RAM.  The process of transcoding
   to one of the (e.g.) MPEG-2 or MPEG-4 formats to save about a 7-10x
   factor in filesizes and transmission bandwidth is very RAM, CPU, and
   disk-intensive.  If one seriously contemplates _real-time_
   transcoding, the CPU and RAM requirements go up further.

o  Software for the conversion to (e.g.) an MPEG-2 or MPEG-4 format.  Kino
   (http://kino.schirmacher.de) would probably suffice, for example.

(I should stress that I'm not personally in a position to supply any of
those things, except possibly a copy of Kino  ;->  .)

What you then end up with -- aside from any live transmission you might
or might not be able to support -- is maybe 500-900 MB files (which
ain't tiny, but sure are smaller than the raw DV you get from your A/D
bridge) for each SVLUG presentation (my guesstimate).  You could then
put such files on, e.g., DVD-ROMs for storage, among other places such
as Internet hosting.

I would _strongly_ suggest that we need to see this done on a pilot
basis at least once, beginning to end, before anyone even thinks of
putting additional effort and money into it.  (Enthusiasm is nice, but
effort and money are in limited supply -- especially when it's _your_
enthusiam and my effort/money.)

Also, what I've not yet seen is:  Whose needs are we serving?  Is there
a demonstrated interest in a live broadcast?  In on-demand availability
of past meetings' video recordings?  Again, analysis of results from the
necessary pilot deployment will help.

"Hereon" said:

> Any idea what other LUGs make videos??

I think you just volunteered to figure that out.  ;->