[volunteers] Fwd: Video Conferencing

Hereon hereon1 at fastmail.us
Fri Feb 2 15:08:58 PST 2007

--
  Hereon
  hereon1 at fastmail.us

----- Original message -----
From: "mark weisler" <mark at weisler-saratoga-ca.us>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 15:07:43 -0800
Subject: Video Conferencing

Dear SVLUGVideographers,

I paged in my memories of distance learning from my way back storage and
recalled the following possibilities.

The presenter is in one place and the audience(s) are...

1. in the same time and place

2. in the same time but a different place(s)

3. not in the same time but in the same place

4. not in the same time or the same place

Let's consider the implications in a brief way.

1. in the same time and place
This is the traditional lecture or talk. Recording may not be going on
or
required.

2. in the same time but a different place(s)
This is a typical videoconferencing situation and networking and
distribution
are required. Recording may not be required.

3. not in the same time but in the same place
Implicit here is the notion that the audience come to the place of the
presentation at a time after the presentation. Recording is required as
is
playback. This has been done a lot in education where the electronic
facilities are located in one room set up for recording. The
speaker/participants go to the room for the recording. The audience
comes in
later or periodically to listen. Networking is not required as the
audience
comes to playback facility.

4. not in the same time or the same place
This is a.k.a. "different time, different place" and here one must
record the
proceedings as well as distribute the material through a network. The
listener/viewer could download the material and watch or just watch
through
the network (which requires a highly available network).

This is a quick notion of the alternatives. It can be made more useful
and
complicated when audience participation in the lecture/talk is
facilitated
and recorded.

Just some thoughts.

--