[volunteers] Fwd: Re: DRAFT- Permission & tech for recording Feb SVLUG speaker

Hereon hereon1 at fastmail.us
Fri Feb 2 15:00:34 PST 2007

--
  Hereon
  hereon1 at fastmail.us

                          love email again

----- Original message -----
From: "Hereon" <hereon1 at fastmail.us>
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2007 14:09:35 -0800
Subject: Re: DRAFT- Permission & tech for recording Feb SVLUG speaker

On Fri, 2 Feb 2007 12:59:43 -0800, "Rick Moen" <rick at linuxmafia.com>
said:
> Quoting Daniel Gimpelevich (daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us):
>
> > Transferring would be on-the-fly as I just indicated, and editing would
> > be nearly nil, since part of the idea is eventually to stream what's
> > being recorded as it's being recorded.

> I'm actually predicting that almost nobody really cares about watching
> _live_, and that the real interest would be in on-demand replay at
> arbitrary times thereafter.  If so, insisting on going to enormous
> efforts to achieve "live" streaming directly from Veritas would be
> pretty much pointless and stupid, when compared to the much easier
> task of capturing the data, sampling it to a reasonable size, and then
> making it available online _after_ the meeting, preferably long-term for
> people's viewing at times of their choosing.

I agree with Rick, here.  It was never _my_ goal to try to stream any of
the talks live. (Though if someone wants to take on that responsibility,
more power to them!) My goals were/are only:
1) As a first step, to record the talks & make them available for later
download by anyone,
2) For speakers talking to SVLUG from remote locations, to have some
live output capability back to the speaker, maybe audio, video? so that
they can take questions & comments live.