[volunteers] [PenLUG] Help / Ideas needed for next week's meeting

mark weisler mark at weisler-saratoga-ca.us
Fri Jan 19 18:12:22 PST 2007

On Friday 19 January 2007 17:38, jim stockford wrote:
>     there's always self-inspection, maybe discuss
> who else can help get speakers. did anyone get
> the email from mark weisler about lugs sharing
> the jobs of getting speakers, coordinating so to
> speak?
Yup, got it.  Helluvan idea!   ;>)

> On Jan 19, 2007, at 11:28 AM, Bill Ward wrote:
> > I don't have a speaker for our meeting on Thursday.  Anyone want to
> > suggest something?
> >
> > --
> > Help bring back the San Jose Earthquakes -
> > http://www.soccersiliconvalley.com/

Something on my mind is the future of SMTP (mail) given all the spam problems.
At BayLISA last night we were also without a speaker but spoke of many
interesting things. One was the role Postini seems to be playing with
enterprises in helping manage mail. We didn't get into much detail but as I
understand it some enterprises are using Postini as a sort of "mail scrubber"
before passing mail on to the subscribing enterprise. One BayLISA participant
reports that this is very effective in helping with the spam problems.

So, it might be that a good topic for our LUGs could be something to the
effect of "What role is Postini playing in mail management and fighting
spam?"  I'm just about ready to ask Postini if they would speak to our
LUG(s).

Some questions that might be addressed in a talk by Postini (or another
informed individual) include:

* Are we getting to the point where mail server administration is more than
most individuals or smaller shops can reasonably handle?
* What can Postini tell us about special processing techniques they use to
manage spam?
* What role might cryptography play in managing spam (by, in part, clearly
identifying the mail originator)? (I first heard of this possibility from
Hugh Daniel.)
* other points?

Comments?
--