[Volunteers] [SBAY Org] Changing DNS for SVLUG

Ian Kluft ikluft at sbay.org
Wed Feb 22 15:33:05 PST 2006

On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 09:05:22PM -0800, J. Paul Reed wrote:
> Immaterial of this whole other pending issue, I'd like to make svlug.org's
> own server authoritative, primary DNS for svlug.org, so SVLUG volunteers
> can easily make updates in the future.

Sorry, nothing is immaterial of another "pending issue" when it ruins
working relationships in a volunteer organization.  Changing the primary
DNS will wait until your mess is cleaned up.

Something that would be helpful and could begin the road to re-earn some
trust would be offering a secondary nameserver on the svlug.org server.
In the process of performing that help, you'll automatically get a copy
of the zone file that you wanted.

If there were any pending requests for A/CNAME records that weren't added
to the previous primary nameserver, bring them up again because they can
be added now.  The previous primary server (operated by a long-time SVLUG
volunteer who ran out of time to handle requests) hadn't been updated
since 2004.

I had another secondary nameserver volunteer lined up without even having
to ask around.  But that person backed out preferring to keep distance
from the feud going on at SVLUG.  So besides the svlug.org server, we can
use one more brave volunteer for a secondary nameserver for svlug.org.