[Volunteers] split list proposal?

Ian Kluft ikluft at thunder.sbay.org
Tue Dec 6 15:45:33 PST 2005

On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 03:33:20PM -0800, Bill Ward wrote:
> On 12/6/05, Andrew Chant <andrew.chant at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Can I suggest we split the svlug list into svlug and svlug-help?
> > svlug-help could be specific to "help! having a problem with xyz or I
> > want to know how to do zyx on so and so a system".
> > svlug could be general discussion of gnu-linux'esque developments.
> > Opt everyone on svlug into svlug-help by default to start off? :D
> >
> > It might help people subscribe to svlug who are less interested in
> > people's specific problems and more interested in linux in general.
>
> That's an interesting idea, I personally would worry that it would
> "ghettoize" the people seeking help.  People would come onto svlug@
> and post questions and get shunted over to the other list, which
> presumably not as many people would read.  At least, that's my fear.
> Bill K., has that happened at all in LUGOD?

Just like Bill K, I'm also not going to presume I know what most SVLUG
members want before we ask.  But this is in general an ages-old question.

When the comp.os.unix newsgroup was split into comp.os.unix.questions and
comp.os.unix.wizards, they found that some people didn't get answers as
fast as they wanted and re-posted the questions on the wizards group.
Others simply assumed they had "a wizard question" and started asking there.

So splitting the lists won't be a perfect solution.  One way people have
often answered the question whether this is necessary is to go back to
the past 2-3 months worth of messages and categorize them on one of the
post-split topics.  Then it at least answers the question of how much
traffic is in each of them.  If there's enough in each, then it probably
will work as long as you allow for Human nature causing some cross-posting
and mistaken messages to the wrong list.