[Volunteers] posting video of svlug meetings online

Chris Verges chverges at cisco.com
Tue Dec 6 11:42:38 PST 2005

Rick Moen wrote:

>>I'm interested in posting video of svlug meetings online.
>>
>Nifty.  I'm sure the club would be delighted to see you do this.  How can we help?

We looked into doing this about 3 to 6 months ago, if I remember
correctly, and decided that the technical and political hurdles were
just too much to worry about at the time.  For instance, we would need:

    * a server on which to store the video
    * a high bandwidth internet connection for the server to stream out
      the video on request
    * someone to actually record the meetings and post the video to the
      server
    * everyone to sign a disclaimer stating that they are OK with being
      recorded and having that recording being posted on the internet
      (or something similar if not an actual form to sign -- basically,
      look at the legal issues of it)
    * how do we back up that video data on the server in the event of a
      crash?
    * who is responsible for it?

While I think it would be awesome to have our meetings recorded, I know
that I really don't want to try and tackle all of this.  However, that
being said, I have a Cisco IP/TV server that will take raw video input
from a camcorder and convert it into a unicast/multicast video data
stream; consider it "donated" to SVLUG assuming someone can make the
whole system work(from recording to streaming to storing the data to
replaying it on demand).

Thanks,

Chris Verges
chverges at cisco.com