[Volunteers] [LinuxPicnic] Holiday dinner - Dec. 18, 2005

Bill Ward bill at wards.net
Mon Nov 28 21:25:16 PST 2005

On 11/28/05, Henry House <hajhouse at houseag.com> wrote:

> Bill, could you clarify whether this is a Linux-themed event or a general
> IT-themed event?

It was meant originally as a Linux event, but the suggestion has been made
to expand the scope to Open Source in general.  I don't have a strong
opinion on the matter.

I'm not sure how well this would work with LUGOD, since restaurants
> generally expect immediate payment as soon as the diners finish eating,
> and
> I am the only person who can sign a check from LUGOD's account; I can't
> attend the event myself as I have a previous engagement that evening. So I
> think it would probably work better for a local group to administer the
> finances. But if you can't find another group that is more local I will be
> happy to see what I can do.

That's not a problem.  I was hoping we could get the finances fixed in
advance in fact, and I am on good relations with the restaurant owner so I'm
sure we could handle things in a way that would make everyone happy.  She's
expecting to be paid a few days before the dinner.

Right now the first priority should be finding the sponsors.  Last year we
"passed the hat" and collected money from individuals, plus charged everyone
$5 at the door.  But we ended up way short on the finances so I'd like to
try a different approach this time.

--
Help save the San Jose Earthquakes - http://www.soccersiliconvalley.com/