[Volunteers] Interest in VMware presentation?

Ian Kluft ikluft at thunder.sbay.org
Sun Oct 2 18:34:17 PDT 2005

On Sun, Oct 02, 2005 at 02:21:43PM -0700, J. Paul Reed wrote:
> On 29 Sep 2005 at 19:07:36, Chris Verges arranged the bits on my disk to say:
> > Paul Reiber wrote:
> > >Me too - I'd LOVE a chance to see what they've been up to.
> >
> > Yeah, I'd like to meet someone respectable from VMWare, a change from
> > our beloved President ... ;-)
>
> I'll check on who this guy is... and demand someone from engineering. If
> we're interested, that is.
>
> I share Brian's concerns.
>
> Also, I believe Xen wanted to present, and they asked us first. If VMware
> wants to present, that's fine, but Xen gets first crack at the meeting
> schedule, and then it'll be 3-4 months before I want another
> virtualization-focused presentation.

Also, we've been bitten by enough marketing presentations that applied in
disguise as something else.  While you can probably make sure VMWare wouldn't
be one of those, we're still recovering from the ill effects of earlier ones.
For a while I'd suggest focusing on topics which are genuinely Open Source.
We need to regain our members' confidence and rebuild attendance after the
flops a few months ago.

I know you work at VMWare.  I hope you won't take this personally.
They didn't do well enough last time they had a chance and shouldn't
be revisited for a long time.  Very few presenters have spoken to SVLUG
more than once - Larry Wall (creeator of Perl) is the only exception
that jumps to mind, though there may have been a few others.