[Volunteers] Question for the next Linux Conference on Oct, 15th.

Ian Kluft ikluft at thunder.sbay.org
Wed Sep 21 13:47:51 PDT 2005

On Wed, Sep 21, 2005 at 11:12:45AM -0700, Joseph Liou wrote:
> I am a college student who is trying to install Linux on my system to
> instead of Win32.
> My Lap Top information is:
> MX-3201
> CPU VIA1.2GHz
> RAM 128 MB
> LCD 14.1 "xGA
> Optical CD-Rom
> 4 cell batteries
> -------------------------------------
> Most people are using Intel's CPU, so I am worry about that my computer
> could be installed or not?
> I just hope to not to bring my computer there, then find out nothing is
> working on it.

For any Intel-compatible CPU, that probably won't be a problem for running
Linux.  But if you want to check other hardware on the system, it can be
done with a bootable CD distribution of Linux.  Some popular ones are...

   LNX-BBC (Linux Bootable Business Card)
   http://www.lnx-bbc.org/

   Knoppix - this was presented at SVLUG on Sept 7
   http://www.knoppix.org/

Or use the boot/rescue CD from whichever Linux distribution you intend to
install on the machine.  If you bring it up with the rescue CD, you can
check how that particular version works with your hardware.

I did a quick Google search for "MX-3201 linux".  It looks like that's a
2001-vintage model.  It's probably OK but give it a try with the CD.