[Volunteers] Software Freedom Day...

J. Paul Reed preed at svlug.org
Fri Sep 9 00:53:09 PDT 2005

On 09 Sep 2005 at 00:41:55, Paul Reiber arranged the bits on my disk to say:

> Paul - How big is this "Software Freedom Day" thing?   ... Let's act
> globally!
>
> Silicon Valley gets attention just because we're Silicon Valley. Maybe
> the tail can wag the dog? Maybe we can get lots of free software people
> working one ONE single, simple, achievable goal this Saturday?
>
> My recommendation would be to have EVERYONE help implement changes to
> websites EVERYWHERE to help point needy New Orleans refugees and those
> willing to help them at craigslist.com where they can communicate their
> needs.  This makes at least as much sense as the links aiming people
> toward sites where they can contribute money to relief organizations.

I really like the idea of a bunch of people working on some open
source-type project to achieve a definable goal in one day.

I'm not as sure of the details for Katrina/Craig's List, though.

I think assistance there is a good idea, but shunting a bunch of traffic to
Craig's List, I'm less sure about. What would be the specific goal of such
a project? Projects that get something notable done in a day have specific
goals, requirements, and a plan to achieve those.

I like the idea of possibly coming up with a way for Free Software to help
Katrina victims, but whatever we do has to be done carefully, since that's
a double-edged sword (they're kinda unrelated issues, and I don't want to
marginalize Katrina victims' problems; whatever we do would have to really
be useful to them).

[ Paul: I don't have a huge problem with the original crossposting, but
please keep any possible responses to *this* email local to *this* list. ]

> help implement changes to links on web portals everywhere TOMORROW.

Software Freedom Day is actually on Saturday... which might be better.

Later,
Paul
--
President