[Volunteers] feedback from SVLUG website

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Aug 25 13:32:08 PDT 2005

Hi, again, Randy.

I just reviewed the Sponsors page (http://www.svlug.org/sponsors.shtml),
and sort of see what you're getting at.  It includes, as its lower half:

  Linux distribution manufacturers listed in alphabetical order

   RedHat 	Red Hat, Inc. (formerly Red Hat Software, Inc.) has provided
   free hand-out Linux CDs for SVLUG installfests and events.

   SuSE 	SUSE Linux AG (now a division of Novell, Inc.) has provided
   free hand-out Linux CDs for SVLUG installfests and events.

   TurboLinux 	TurboLinux (formerly Pacific HiTech) has provided free
   hand-out Linux CDs for SVLUG installfests and events. (Please note that
   TurboLinux currently offers Linux distributions only in east Asia.)

One distinction is that those three furnished a _lot_ of CD sets to
SVLUG.  I mean, many hundreds and possibly spilling into multiple
thousands.  'Course, that was back in the more-money-than-brains dot-com
days.

Also, those firms provided the CDs _directly to_ SVLUG for its events,
as opposed to them filtering in, a dozen or so, via you or me.

You'll notice that a number of the "sponsor" firms don't actually exist
any more, but I've tried to annotate their current status correctly,
when I maintain the content.  The main point is that we try to show
lasting gratitude in public to people and companies that have done the
group significant favours, even if it's been a while.

Anyhow, the decision about whom to list as a sponsor (like the decision
about when to no longer list someone as a sponsor) most properly belongs
to Paul and Bill.  I shy away from making site changes of that scope on
my own initiative, only.