[Volunteers] (forw) Re: [svlug] Hacking Society Meeting Minutes

Heather Stern star at starshine.org
Wed Aug 17 18:14:55 PDT 2005

On Wed, Aug 17, 2005 at 08:23:50AM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> OK, I wasn't reading what Paul wrote attentively -- proof that I need my
> coffee.
>
> ----- Forwarded message from Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> -----
>
> Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 08:18:10 -0700
> To: svlug at lists.svlug.org
> From: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
> Subject: Re: [svlug] Hacking Society Meeting Minutes
>
> Quoting J. Paul Reed (preed at svlug.org):
>
> > We're considering meeting a new place next month, so if you have
> > suggestions of locations that are a) open late, b) somewhat quiet
> > ("coffeehouse quiet") and c) have free whee-fi, then please send a message
> > to volunteers at svlug.org.
>
> One popular choice among tech. groups is Dana Street Roasting Company in
> downtown Mountain View.  See:
>
> http://www.live.com/danastreet/
> http://www.live.com/danastreet/linux-config.html
> http://www.metroactive.com/papers/metro/07.18.02/bars-danastroasting-0229.html
> http://www.paloaltoonline.com/weekly/morgue/2001/2001_12_28.eating28.html
>
> The major disadvantage is the lack of accessible AC power outlets:
> You'd have to bring your laptop well charged and/or bring a spare
> battery.  Closing time is 10 p.m. weekdays except 11 p.m. on Friday.
> And no credit cards.  (All of the above as of my recollection; could
> have changed.)
>
> The coffee is excellent, and (as the name suggests) roasted right there.

The other disads are that it's a fairly small location, and easy for a
smaller group to hog the only large table before we get there;  there's no
ability to reserve it.  In fact the volunteers group we have so far might
fill most of the place.

The lack of AC is deliberate, by the way.  The outdoor portion of Double
Rainbow (an ice cream shop) has about the same amount of seating.
Unfortunately it doesn't have signal so I'll describe places that have that.

We would be a *lot* happier at Coffee Society across from De Anza college.
WiFi just works(tm), there's lots of power outlets up and no complaints
about using them, the coffee's tasty, the shape of the place is good for
seperating off, if the people there make it clunky then it's also easy to
sit outdoors (though I haven't measured signal from outdoors and don't
recall if there was power on the non smoking side of the patio).

There's also an instance of Coffee Society in the Pruneyard Mall but its
coffee isn't nearly as good.

Santana Row (just south of  Stevens Creek along Winchester, the mall complex
across from Flames and the 3 "dome" theatres Century 21-23) has wireless
active in its open spaces, and we actually held a BayLISA board meeting there
a couple of times.  If their access rules haven't changed and we don't mind
wearing blazers when the wind and evening chill come up, our computers will
be pretty happy and we have a choice of restaurants or food kiosks to consider.
Depending on where you sit and what day of the meeting, there may be jazz
music; not sure how obtrusive you find that.

Starbicks mostly have signal these days but only if you pay for it.  Not
necessarily a bad thing, but if you're not running the beast from redmond
don't expect them to help you with it.

Orchard Valley Coffee in downtown historic Campbell is similar.  Better
coffee than Starbucks, but wireless is a paid thing, and the staff aren't
techies.  Decent tables to spread out on, though, and power available.

That's off the top of my head for restaurants with wireless.  My info for
further up the peninsula is old and not all that trusty.  If this is
sufficient then I needn't check 'em out except for my curiosity later.

  . | .   Heather Stern                  |         star at starshine.org
--->*<--- Starshine Technical Services - * - consulting at starshine.org
  ' | `   Sysadmin Support and Training  |        (800) 938-4078 v.m.
                                                  (408) 374-7623 land
                                                  (408) 761-4912 cell