[Volunteers] (forw) Re: [svlug] Hacking Society Meeting Minutes

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Aug 17 08:23:50 PDT 2005

OK, I wasn't reading what Paul wrote attentively -- proof that I need my
coffee.

Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 08:18:10 -0700
To: svlug at lists.svlug.org
From: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
Subject: Re: [svlug] Hacking Society Meeting Minutes

Quoting J. Paul Reed (preed at svlug.org):

> We're considering meeting a new place next month, so if you have
> suggestions of locations that are a) open late, b) somewhat quiet
> ("coffeehouse quiet") and c) have free whee-fi, then please send a message
> to volunteers at svlug.org.

One popular choice among tech. groups is Dana Street Roasting Company in
downtown Mountain View.  See:

http://www.live.com/danastreet/
http://www.live.com/danastreet/linux-config.html
http://www.metroactive.com/papers/metro/07.18.02/bars-danastroasting-0229.html
http://www.paloaltoonline.com/weekly/morgue/2001/2001_12_28.eating28.html

The major disadvantage is the lack of accessible AC power outlets:
You'd have to bring your laptop well charged and/or bring a spare
battery.  Closing time is 10 p.m. weekdays except 11 p.m. on Friday.
And no credit cards.  (All of the above as of my recollection; could
have changed.)

The coffee is excellent, and (as the name suggests) roasted right there.