[Volunteers] [2e764@mikesoffice.org: Re: [Lug-nuts] Meetings, Other Lugs]

Chris Verges chverges at cisco.com
Mon Aug 1 10:26:52 PDT 2005

Michael Long wrote:

> About the only thing that it'll prove is that multicast works between
> you and Verio though :) Although if  you do decide to do this you can
> give rtt to anyone else and they can test multicast connectivity to you.

Always good to know!  :-)  At the least, we could do a delayed
broadcast, where I upload to the server and then it doesn't start
streaming until half way through the meeting, ya know?  Then the rtt
isn't as important.  I mean, it would be awesome to be able to do a live
Q&A from afar, but certainly not necessary.  ;-)

Once we get the wireless connection perfected at Symantec/Vertias, then
we can really start to look into some of these options.  The public
wireless connection for the group is the first major step forward that
SVLUG is taking in terms of technology at the meetings, so I think baby
steps is a good way to go for now.  Don't want to throw too much too
quickly, or else we may not have the resources to maintain the system.
It's always good to keep these things in mind and work out the details
ahead of time, though!

Thanks,

Chris Verges
chverges at cisco.com