[Volunteers] [2e764@mikesoffice.org: Re: [Lug-nuts] Meetings, Other Lugs]

Michael Long 2e764 at mikesoffice.org
Mon Aug 1 08:34:43 PDT 2005

On Aug 1, 2005, at 6:43 AM, Chris Verges wrote:

> Ah, gotcha!  Well, like I said, let's see if a few of us can chat
> before/after the SVLUG meeting this Wednesday about this and get a
> poll for the consensus.  I'll even bring a toy or two so we can see
> the technical side and how it works in.

Well if  you want to run any testing let me know. We've used two apps
to test mutlicast in the past.

ftp://puck.nether.net/pub/jared/rtt-0.12.tar.gz

it listens on a hardcoded group address in rtt_resp.c, you can change
it, then run the app. Put together by a co-worker and should work on
any linux/unix box. We also use the multicast beacon project

http://dast.nlanr.net/projects/beacon/

About the only thing that it'll prove is that multicast works between
you and Verio though :) Although if  you do decide to do this you can
give rtt to anyone else and they can test multicast connectivity to you.

Mike