[Volunteers] [2e764@mikesoffice.org: Re: [Lug-nuts] Meetings, Other Lugs]

William R Ward bill at svlug.org
Sun Jul 31 23:26:36 PDT 2005

Michael Long writes:
>On Jul 31, 2005, at 6:17 PM, Chris Verges wrote:
>> From a technical standpoint, it's very do-able.  I have most of the
>> equipment that we would need to multicast it out to the Internet.
>> (Unicast to my server, multicast from there.)  Then there's the
>> point of keeping archives, but even that is not difficult.
>>
>> However, there are all kinds of privacy issues that come up with
>> these sorts of things.  For instance, what if the presenter doesn't
>> want the info to be published?  What if someone in the audience
>> doesn't want to be on tape?  Things like this ....
>
>hmmm... everything i've written here so far makes me sound like an
>ass. :) If there are serious concerns about audience members being on
>tape or presenters not wanting to be taped we might as well not even
>get into a technical discussion. I personally don't see it as an
>issue but... <shrug>

I don't think this meeting can be done for reasons previously stated.
But I do think we should at least videotape the meetings in future,
providing that we have the speaker's permission.  If we record it
using a digital camcorder the video stream can be uploaded to a Web
server to be streamed after the fact.  I don't see why it should need
to be a live multicast.

--Bill.

--
William R. Ward - Vice President, Silicon Valley Linux Users Group
bill at svlug.org - http://www.svlug.org - (650) 279-9904