[Volunteers] List policy change for svlug list: reject -> hold

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Sun Jul 31 15:59:12 PDT 2005

on Sat, Jul 30, 2005 at 06:01:45PM -0700, William R Ward (bill at svlug.org) wrote:

> I've made a provisional change to the mailman config for the svlug
> list, so that mail is no longer rejected outright but held for
> moderator approval.  This should be friendlier for nonmembers who try
> to post to the svlug list without being properly subscribed.  If this
> proves to be too much of a pain to moderate, I'll change it back.

My experience (mostly on low-traffic lists) is that this isn't _too_
much load.  If you can pre-filter with IP and rules-based spam filters
for a rough first cut as spam you're ahead of the game.  The usual
probem I find is that spam filters are better than I am.

I also find that using a text-based browser, specifically w3m, is much
more convenient for moderating lists than a GUI browser.

Search:  " \) *$"

... and hit "<enter>n" repeatedly to nuke spam.  Just make sure it's
spam you're nuking.

Peace.

    If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we
    will stop telling the truth about them.
    - Adlai Stevenson