[Volunteers] Volunteers Digest, Vol 5, Issue 27

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Sat Jul 23 00:11:24 PDT 2005

on Fri, Jul 22, 2005 at 01:38:34PM -0700, Margaret Wendall (mwendall at gmail.com) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is my first post to this list, and I have a suggestion for a
> simple way to tell speakers how much time they have - get a simple,
> digital kitchen timer at something like Fry's or Bed, Bath & Beyond,
> and then turn it on at the start of every meeting. If it's sitting on
> the podium, the speaker could see it, but the audience could not....
> This doesn't have to cost megabucks and I'd kick in a few $$$ if
> necessary.

Nerf guns....

;-)

More seriously, a yellow '5 minutes' and red '1 minute' placard held by
someone visible to the speaker, say in the front row, might be the cheap
low-tech solution.

Another is to run a moderated Q&A at the end of the presentation, where
the moderator tends to know when to wind things down more than a speaker
might.

Peace.

    Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same.
    - Oscar Wilde