[Volunteers] SVLUG Volunteers meeting minutes, 20 June 2005

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Fri Jul 22 11:14:48 PDT 2005


On Wed, Jul 20, 2005 at 09:00:21PM -0700, J. Paul Reed wrote:
> 
> SVLUG Volunteer Meeting 
> 21 June 2005
<snip>
> 
> 4. Speakers
> 4a. Need to find a way to gather speaker preferences (questions
> before/after, etc.
> 4b. Need to find a way to indicate time left to speakers.
> 
> ACTION_ITEM: BK will handle both 4a and 4b.

I'll see if maybe we can get a from put up on the website for 4a...
or, at least, a questionnaire<sp?> which speakers can read and then
email me with any concerns.  e.g.:

  Unless you state otherwise, we'll assume you're ok with questions during...

For 4b, I think a hand signal thing would work, but I'm afraid we'll
forget to explain to the speaker "dude in back winking at you will mean
'5-minutes'", whereas a big "5 MINS LEFT" sign would be easy to comprehend
without any prior explanation.

Is there a box or anything that gets brough to SVLUG at each meeting?
(At LUGOD we have a box of flyers, membership signup forms, signage to
put up at the venue ("Meeting's this-a-way," "This Crap Is All Free", etc.)
and give-aways.)


<snip>
> 2. Sat, 10 September is Software Freedom Day; we want to do something for
> it.

For whoever wants to take this ball and roll with it (we might want to
post to svlug and/or svlug-announce to find someone willing to coordinate),
simply look at:  http://www.softwarefreedomday.org/  There's a wiki and
forums and tons of info, and it's pretty easy to set up.  SVLUG may have
missed the deadline for getting free Ubuntu discs, but we could always
find a kind person/company to burn off a hundred or so discs, depending
on what exactly the event SVLUG does _is_.

FYI, I'll probably be helping with LUGOD's SFD demo in Davis, but I'm
not certain.  (For general LUGOD demo info, visit:
http://www.lugod.org/projects/demo/ )


> 3. Large printouts can be sent to CV (max of 5); we'd probably like to get
> a couple for meetings ("SVLUG this way", etc)

Is anyone handling this?


> 4. Distributing Picnix fliers; we'd like to do a shadow flier for SVLUG as
> well.
> 
> ACTION_ITEM: HS/BK: come up with a shadow flier for SVLUG

I still need to make the 'shadow' SVLUG flyer.  I'm /nearly/ done doing
the Picn*x14 flyers.  (You can see the sponsor-less drafts at the
following temp. URL: http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/p14/flyers/ )

After that, I'll make the shadow SVLUG one and when I post a
"please print flyers for picnix" message to SVLUG, I'll try to remember
to tell people they can also print some SVLUG-specific ones, too.


> 5. Other outreach ideas: conferences, Open Country/USENIX, ISSA,
> Universities, Classes. See http://lugod.org/projects/ for example LUG
> projects.

Feel free to ask me (on this list) for any details.


<snip> 
> 5c. SVLUG-sponsored contributions to open source software projects;
> leveraging Hacking Society to do this?

I'd love some help with Tux Paint some time.  Need to get Melissa's
laptop working on wireless, and/or get my own laptop. ;)

-- 
-bill!                          Picn*x14 --- Linux Anniversary Picnic & BBQ!
bill at newbreedsoftware.com       Sunnyvale Baylands Park, Sunday, August 14th
http://newbreedsoftware.com/    http://linuxpicnic.org/ to RSVP & volunteer!




More information about the volunteers mailing list