[Volunteers] SVLUG Volunteers meeting minutes, 20 June 2005

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Jul 21 22:43:32 PDT 2005

Quoting J. Paul Reed (preed at svlug.org):

> Like most open source entities, the ability to "fork" the group always
> exists.

Huh?

SVLUG did not "fork" when it left SVCS.  It simply took everything and
departed, entirely intact.  (I'm extremely surprised to hear you
referring this exercise of our autonomy as "forking".  This seems to be
some novel sense of the term.)

> > Looking from that perspective, it's a good thing that we always kept
> > ownership of our domain name in the hands of a trusted volunteer,
>
> Which it currently is: Ian holds the access to the domain name
> administration. It's listed as an organization, but Ian is the
> President of that organization.

I didn't expect I'd have to diagram the point for you, but, oh well:
We always (prior to your recently initiated ownership transfer) kept
ownership of our domain name in the hands of a trusted volunteer
distinct from our sponsoring parent corporation.

You've recently set up a situation where the exact situation we always
tried to avoid was created:  Sbay.org as a corporate entity was given,
in essence, veto control over our ever deciding to cease association
with them (except by changing our name).

> I don't see this as a short term problem.

Rather clearly, you didn't see it at all.