[Volunteers] SVLUG Volunteers meeting minutes, 20 June 2005

J. Paul Reed preed at svlug.org
Thu Jul 21 22:21:37 PDT 2005

On 21 Jul 2005 at 17:25:39, Rick Moen arranged the bits on my disk to say:

> Anyhow, Sbay.org's bylaws classify us as an "informal association" in its
> eyes (which is only fair), and state that Sbay.org's president has power
> to appoint and remove any "officer" of such an informal association,
> including you (in your role as what from Sbay.org's perspective is the
> "SIG coordinator").  My guess would be that you want a charter inside the
> Sbay.org framework to change that.  Correct?

Something like that; I haven't discussed all the details with Ian yet.

> But, actually, if Sbay.org were ever to attempt to do that, wouldn't our
> reaction be to say "Thanks for the corporate sponsorship, which was
> really nice, but we're leaving now"?  I mean, that was our understanding
> with SVCS; isn't that likewise with Sbay.org?

Like most open source entities, the ability to "fork" the group always
exists. There are, however, consequences for doing so... and in our case, I
think both sides would be acutely aware of what those are.

> Looking from that perspective, it's a good thing that we always kept
> ownership of our domain name in the hands of a trusted volunteer,

Which it currently is: Ian holds the access to the domain name
administration. It's listed as an organization, but Ian is the President of
that organization.

> Except -- oops! -- you seem to have very recently done away with that
> precaution.  Pity about that.

I don't see this as a short term problem.

If it becomes a long term problem, you can take consolation in the fact
that history will remember J. Paul Reed as the person who ruined SVLUG by
ceding control of it to SBAY.org (reminds me Kerry's "Global Test"
statement which The Right so predictably perverted; see
http://slate.msn.com/id/2107690/)

Later,
Paul
--