[Volunteers] Undisclosed banned discussion topics (was: yum extender)

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Mon Jul 18 18:46:33 PDT 2005

on Mon, Jul 18, 2005 at 03:37:28PM -0700, J. Paul Reed (preed at svlug.org) wrote:
> On 15 Jul 2005 at 21:50:39, Karsten M. Self arranged the bits on my disk to say:
>
> > Increasing outreach (one of the planks of my own SVLUG campaign),
> > particularly to schools, colleges, and retail outlets, would be a win
> > IMO.
>
> Yes, yes, yes!
>
> We discussed this at the last meeting, with varying results. The outcome
> was kinda mushy. We should definitely discuss it again at the Volunteers
> dinner tomorrow.

...which I'll have to sit out, but with luck, I'll be more available for
same in future.

The basics of what I was thinking were:

  - Signage / flyers in stores:  Fry's, CompUSA, etc., advertising the
    LUG.  Possibly coordinated events.  Also bookstores (Stacy's,
    Borders, B&N, etc.).

  - Getting meetings (or at least significant ones) mentioned on area
    "community calendar" stuff.  E.g.:  PicNix (I know, a different org,
    but some staff overflow) on the KQED community calendar.  Get it in
    now, we should be about on schedule for mid August.

  - Schools.  I've done volunteer work with a Napa area HSs in the past
    year, worked with some SJ schools when I was in the area.  I'm
    finding that the best way in is to find an internal advocate who
    wants to run a program.  Think "computer lab", not "MSFT => Linux
    migration".  Schools have many people, religious attitudes, etc.,
    but proofs-of-concept can be demonstrated, and there's almost sure
    to be _some_ fertile ground.  Ubuntu's a massive benefit here (easy
    to use, easy to install, easy to maintain distro), though avoid
    distro religion.  RH/FC is probably the best "current job skills"
    platform.

Just, in general, better visibility.  The people who know we exist, know
we exist.  It's the others we're trying to attract.

Peace.

    Paranoia is heightened awareness.