[Volunteers] Undisclosed banned discussion topics (was: yum extender)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Jul 18 14:47:09 PDT 2005

Quoting Karsten Self (kmself at ix.netcom.com):

> This is one of the perverse properties of list disagreements.  There are
> basically two sorts of responses:
>
>   - People who leave lists in a huff (or state that they will).
>
>   - People who silently remove themselves.
>
> Some level of disagreement, heated at times, is a sign of a *healthy*
> community.  It's when the ranks _stop_ grumbling that you've either got
> a community cowed by leadership or bullies, or whose numbers have been
> thinned by self-selecting out.

Just a point:  Right around the tail end of March, both ex-Pres. Marc
Merlin and I separately arrived at the private assessment that the new
team of elected officers were, aside from commendable achievement in
dealing with the meeting-venue crisis, otherwise busy screwing up by the
numbers, and that we'd just concentrate on our own individual spheres of
action, otherwise keep quiet, and let the group as a whole land wherever
the new pair dropped it off.

Unlike Marc, I changed my mind because:

o  I cared,
o  and was asked (to give feedback).

Paul is now ticked off at _me_, because I've cared enough to give him and
Bill my honest if sometimes unflattering assessment, articulated as
clearly as time and sleep-deprivation permit -- but not at Marc, who
holds roughly similar views but no longer gives a damn.  Perverse, indeed.