[Volunteers] "As an anti-spam measure"?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Jul 18 12:33:22 PDT 2005

Quoting J. Paul Reed (preed at svlug.org):

> The svlug@ roster is not going to be made visible to its subscribers.

May I ask why?  As noted, each subscriber elects (at subscription or
thereafter) whether to be concealed from the list's roster or not.  So,
the cited "antispam" justification seems simply inapplicable.

You know, and I hope you'll take this in the spirit intended, you guys
would have had a _whole_ lot less trouble if you'd consulted people who
actually know Mailman administration in the first place.

> > Again, I see this as part of the trend of centralisation that's marked
> > their administration.
>
> That's *exactly* what we're doing.

Well, that's entirely your privilege -- but then you shouldn't act
surprised when you notice less participation by other volunteers, after
having maked a concerted effort, in a number of areas, to cut everyone
but yourself and Bill W. out of the loop.  Thus my point -- of which
Mailman admin is just one example.

If I had a dollar for every time I've heard you say "Bill and I had
lunch and we decided..." (about something you then announced without
consulting anyone), I'd have the price of a nice dinner at Original Joe's,
by now.

Your point about the volunteers' dinner is duly noted and appreciated.