[Volunteers] "As an anti-spam measure"?

J. Paul Reed preed at svlug.org
Mon Jul 18 12:18:08 PDT 2005

On 15 Jul 2005 at 17:40:02, Rick Moen arranged the bits on my disk to say:

> Logic therefore suggests that the cited reason is completely bogus, and
> that you guys defined the archive as nonpublic -- quite simply -- in
> order to keep it out of view of the general public.  Obviously.

This is exactly the reason, Rick.

I don't want the Volunteers list automatically archived by Google, and I
don't want random people browsing it. If people want to (take the
[admittedly small] effort to subscribe), then they can (and should be able
to) read the archives.

It's a low bar yes, but it is a bar nonetheless, and it was put in place
with a reason.

This policy is not likely to change.

Also, before spending a bunch of energy refuting something others said, you
may want to confirm with me personaly that that's the real reason the
organization is doing what it's doing.

> I'll now add:
> Suggestion 5:  Make svlug@ & volunteers@ rosters visible to their subscribers.

The svlug@ roster is not going to be made visible to its subscribers.

I'm OK with the volunteers@ rosters being made visible to its subscribers,
assuming others on that list are as well.

> Again, I see this as part of the trend of centralisation that's marked
> their administration.

That's *exactly* what we're doing.

First, I didn't know it's such a huge secret and second, don't make it
sound so sinister, or as if we're trying to do it behind closed doors.

It's not, and we aren't. [Insert plug here for the Volunteers dinner
tomorrow night, which I need to announce.]

Later,
Paul
--
President