[Volunteers] Undisclosed banned discussion topics (was: yum extender)

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Fri Jul 15 21:50:39 PDT 2005

on Thu, Jul 14, 2005 at 08:52:12PM -0700, Rick Moen (rick at linuxmafia.com) wrote:
> Quoting William R Ward (bill at svlug.org):
>
> > That's an interesting point.  So, who are the appointed officers,
> > then?  I don't think we have an official roster anywhere.
>
> http://www.svlug.org/officers.shtml is about as close as we have.

There also seems to be missing an online registry of bylaws, unless this
falls under the purview of SBay.org.

Having played the role of roaming Bay Area GNU/Linux Nomad for the past
few years, and seeing a number of LUGs in action, I stand by my
assessment that LUGoD is one of the best organized (and effective) LUGs
anywhere.  Maybe there's something to be said for being based in a small
university town....

SVLUG's operational premise largely seems to have been "that which needs
to get done", and to a large extent it's succeeded.  The group is or
soon will be heading into its second decade (depending on where you
start counting), and may want to revisit its organizational structure.

In general, the group's had more vendor/corporate interplay than LUGoD,
but members in general seem to be more spread out, and strapped for time
(SV job pressures, traffic, and dispersion).  IME groups work best when
they leverage their strengths and work within their limits.  Increasing
outreach (one of the planks of my own SVLUG campaign), particularly to
schools, colleges, and retail outlets, would be a win IMO.

Peace.

    MX Radio - With Bob Edwards, who needs NPR?       http://www.xmradio.com/