[Volunteers] Ideas for list policies

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Jul 15 16:25:56 PDT 2005

Quoting William R Ward (bill at svlug.org):

> Here is a rough draft of a new list policies page, presented for
> comments.

1.  I notice:  It's slightly better organised and (by intention at
least) newly references a couple of external documents to be supplied
later.  It incorporates the substance of the
http://www.svlug.org/maillists/ page, which I infer would go away.
That's progress; thanks.

2.  The wording of some points covered looks 5% tighter, but I can't
figure out offhand hat points you trimmed.  (I'm short on sleep today,
unfortunately, and might be missing something, for which my apologies.
Maybe you snipped some stuff that the external links would cover?)   To
my bleary eyes, it _looks_ like the same collection of stuff, re-ordered
and (in places) slightly re-worded.

3.  In that re-wording, I noticed dummying-down in one place:  You put
the phrase "a Web address" in place of existing text "a URL (Web
address)".  (By contrast, I had suggested dropping the lame, vague
AOLism "Web address" and using "URL".  C'mon: People are interested in
Linux but cannot figure out what "URL" means?)  Also, why lose the
bulleting used in places like the "no documents" section?  In my
opinion, that's one of the few things about the existing page that
_help_ its readability.

Getting to the main points, though:

4.  As with the existing page, your draft is _not_ a "list policies"
page, but rather a "list descriptions, list policies, netiquette, list
suggestions, filtering, other resources, and tips grab-bag" potpourri
page.  Thus my point:  If it's supposed to be a "list policies" page,
focus it explicitly on _list policies_, and shovel that other stuff off
to somewhere else -- if anywhere.

5.  My main complaints about the current page were -- you may recall --
that several supposedly in-force rules are not included, and that the
"list policies" section throws in suggestions, tips, and sundry
incredibly-obvious general-Internet-knowledge bromides into what is
claimed to be _policies_ (the set of rules, requirements upon posters).
Your draft does nothing at all about that (main) problem.

It merges in http://www.svlug.org/maillists/, and hooks in
some external links.  Otherwise, isn't it nearly the same, just
rearranged?  I see no fundamental change, and the fundamentals are
in my view exactly what need fixing.