[Volunteers] Volunteers list subscription policy clarified

William R Ward bill at svlug.org
Fri Jul 15 01:38:59 PDT 2005

Rick Moen writes:
>Quoting William R Ward (bill at svlug.org):
>
>> In the past Rick has made the statement that the Volunteers list is a
>> closed list that requires moderator approval to join.  I have been
>> assuming he was correct in saying so, and that it had been Paul's
>> policy to make it so.  But apparently that is false on both counts: I
>> just logged into the mailman administration tool for Volunteers and
>> verified that the Subscribe Policy is set as "Confirm" - so there is
>> no admin approval required to join.
>
>Unless you gave the listadmin password to somebody else, this means that
>either _you_ changed it, or that Paul changed it.

I'm sure you're right that it was changed.  I don't know when, and as
far as I know Mailman doesn't keep a log of such changes.  I have no
recollection of changing it, or of Paul telling me he had done so, but
I'm sure one of us did.

>(Regardless of who,
>nobody bothered to mention the change.)

Do you actually expect us to announce any change in the Mailman
configuration?  Anyway, remember that the volunteers list was very new
in March/April (which is probably when it was changed).  Initially we
had not even made an announcement about its formation, and certainly
not any policies for the volunteers list.

>You may recall that I advised you of this fact -- citing "pending
>subscription requests" for volunteers@, _not_ officers@ -- on March 29,
>in my e-mail to Marc Merlin that he then forwarded to
>officers at lists.svlug.org .  Do you need me to send you another copy, to
>refresh your memory?

I have my own email archives, and am sure you are correct about this.

Let's stop worrying about what happened in the past few months and
focus on what we're going to do going forward.  I think the main thing
we need to do is establish what the list policies shall be.

--
William R. Ward - Vice President, Silicon Valley Linux Users Group
bill at svlug.org - http://www.svlug.org - (650) 279-9904