[Volunteers] Volunteers list subscription policy clarified

William R Ward bill at svlug.org
Tue Jul 12 09:52:59 PDT 2005

J. Paul Reed writes:
>I do want to clarify that volunteers@ IS NOT a private forum, and it is not
>controlled by Bill and I.  Anyone is able to join at any time, and archives
>are available to members.  That may not be your definition of "public,"
>Rick, but we can agree to disagree on it. *IF I AM WRONG* and the Mailman
>config is set up incorrectly, then we need to fix that. Anyone should be
>able to join the volunteers list at any time, period.

In the past Rick has made the statement that the Volunteers list is a
closed list that requires moderator approval to join.  I have been
assuming he was correct in saying so, and that it had been Paul's
policy to make it so.  But apparently that is false on both counts: I
just logged into the mailman administration tool for Volunteers and
verified that the Subscribe Policy is set as "Confirm" - so there is
no admin approval required to join.

The Officers list, of course, requires approval to join.  It may have
been that when Volunteers was first set up, there was such a policy,
and Rick is remembering that.  But for quite a while now it has been
open to anyone who wishes to join.

--
William R. Ward - Vice President, Silicon Valley Linux Users Group
bill at svlug.org - http://www.svlug.org - (650) 279-9904