[Volunteers] Undisclosed banned discussion topics (was: yum extender)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Jul 11 17:43:36 PDT 2005

Quoting William R Ward (bill at svlug.org):

> If you would like to suggest some changes I think it would be entirely
> appropriate for you to post such ideas here or on the officers list.
> While it's true that you shouldn't be setting policy, there's no
> reason you can't suggest a policy change or submit an edit for officer
> approval.

OK, sure.  I'll help out if I can.

I assume you mean SVLUG's _elected_ officers.  We've had appointed
officers since the very beginning, and, when I mentioned that fact to you
in private mail in mid-March, you seemed very surprised to hear it --
and also you and Paul continue to restrict the term "officers" to just
the two of you.

You and Paul obviously do want to encourage more volunteer
participation, so you might start right there:  In general, one of the
things that LUGs do to keep people involved is give them recognition.
One no-cost way of doing that is to let them have titles, which is
basically why SVLUG _has_ appointive officers.  Believe it or not, LUGs
tell me (as maintainer of the LUG HOWTO for the LDP) that this works.

(I should hasten to add that I _personally_ don't need care whether I'm
called an appointive officer or not:  As you'll see from some of my
comments in the LUG HOWTO, my personal preference is for very loose
just-get-it-done anarchical arrangements, and don't much care what
people are called.)

Incidentally, I know you two would _like_ to attract more volunteer
involvement, but you might want to consider that most of your changes
have, in fact, involved centralising all decisions and actions, through
you two.  I'm sure you didn't intend to do that, but it's been sort of a
running pattern.  Suddenly restricting the term "officers", against all
prior SVLUG practice, to just yourselves is just one example.

> My goal is to not scare people off the svlug lists with unwanted
> traffic about topics that have nothing to do with why they joined the
> list.  That's less likely to happen on the volunteers list.

Let me remind you of my perspective:  On at least two occasions (the two
I cited), you (in my view) maligned me personally, in error, in public
on svlug@ , and then immediately either "killed the thread" (forbade me
or anyone else from commenting) or ordered me to move any commentary to
a small, totally private forum, access to which is controlled by you and
Paul Reed.

That is extremely uncool:  Being VP of a LUG is not supposed to be open
licence to take personal, public shots at other volunteers with impunity.
Claiming after the fact that you're acting for the public benefit
doesn't make it any better.

I'm not going to hold a grudge, but I'm concerned about that becoming a
pattern.  It should not; it's simply not right.

If you honestly feel you have to terminate threads for various reasons,
fine, but taking public swipes at people (e.g., highly questionable
and derogatory claims about what such people have recently posted)
_at the same time_ as you prohibt them from replying is a habit that's
going to seriously tick people off -- and I don't mean just me.

> Thank you.  Most mail software would have automatically done that; I
> guess yours doesn't.

Bill, that's actually _not_ how Reply-To works.  I believe I can
explain (and I'm honestly not trying to be critical of you or anyone
else personally in saying this, but rather just trying to explain the
technology).  Let's say you send: